Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Southampton Doesn't have a beach!

Having had the week from hell, stressing about anything and everything I decided that the best thing to do was, and I quote Monty Python here- 'RUN AWAY!', successfully adopting the thanks giving dinner at my house for 15 people Deborah invited. Turkey isn't my thing, however I did try to make stuffing balls for her and managed to burn my hands several times in the process. Possibly because we used boiling water in the mixture.

So, my genius de-stress plan was to run off to Southampton to stay with Laura and Iain for a couple of days to chill. Far away enough to get away from everything and they seemed happy enough for me to invite myself.

Friday was spent shopping upon the realization that Southampton beach was completely repaced by the doc (may be at university but am still a bit slow!). Come to think of it, shopping is no bad consolation. I did have every intention on starting my Christmas shopping ofcourse and I did look but alas, as per usual I spent ridiculous amounts of money on myself. (good cure to stress if ever I came across one)

It was so good so see Laura and Iain. I finally gave them their wedding present which had been sitting in the corner of my bedroom since the beginning of July. 4 and a half months- that's a strong effort! I have never seen anyone so excited about storage jars. One can only assume that it was a case of simple things! I have to admit, it was quite exciting how they matched all their other kitchen utensils- I have a simple mind too! Iain then decided to wash them out before using them and was gutted that he had to wait for them to dry. I helpfully suggested he used Laura's hair-dryer to dry them. He took me seriously!

Friday evening I found myself categorizing someone's leaving party and showing my mastery skill at playing giant pick-up sticks. The fact that I'd helped Laura to make some home-made tzanziki (zanzoozoo as she called it!) helped a little bit so I didn't feel so awkward. That and a glass of wine. I don't think any of us had expected the party to go on until so late. We left at 3am. Arrived in Southampton at 4am. I got to sleep at 5am then woke up around half 9 and couldn't get back to sleep.

I returned to London feeling empowered, able to take the world on and feeling a little silly for thinking that a bad day was justification for dropping out of my course to arrive home to a tidy house- nice! As I sat in my living room I'd noticed an extra 4 empty bottles of wine on our window sill- and then there were 11. Apparently people were commenting at thanks giving about all the empty wine bottles and both my housemates informed everyone that they don't drink wine so now everyone probably thinks I have a drink problem. (just for the record- I didn't buy any of the bottles on the window sill and in total I've probably only drunk 2 glasses of wine since I moved into my house.

So now I look like an alcoholic, I didn't get any shopping done and I didn't get to go to the beach on account of Southampton not having one. Oh happy day!

No comments: